Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Annexed- Sharon Dogar

This book is an absolute must to be paired up with reading The Diary of Anne Frank.  It is the story of the Franks and Van Pels time in hiding and beyond from Peter's point of view.  It is every bit as compelling as the original diary and alternates between Peter being at the death camp and his memories of being in hiding with Anne and her family.  I was just as disturbed at the ending of this book as I was the first time I read Anne's diary.  The story is so haunting- they get so close to making it, yet only Otto Frank (Anne's father) makes it.  There are a few references to Peter being afraid he will die or not get out of hiding before he can be with a girl, but other than that it is middle school appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment