Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Potato Chip Puzzles- Eric Berlin

My first comment about this book is thank goodness there is an answer key provided at the end of the book.  I am not the greatest at solving puzzles and I like to just have the answer, so I don't get too frustrated.  I'm sure some kids are like me and will look at the answers quickly, but I have other students that don't ever want you to tell them the answer because they love to figure it out.  This book is a mystery about a group of kids trying to solve 6 puzzles set out by a potato chip company owner.  The prize is $50,000 for their school, and their teacher chaperones are almost more competitive about the contest than the kids.  There are tons of puzzles along the way for readers to solve, as well as the mystery of who is trying to sabotage the groups' puzzle solving.  I would like to share this book with an entire class because the puzzle solving aspect is so much fun.  There is also a website (http://www.winstonbreen.com/) that has even more fun puzzles.  The other book about Winston is The Puzzling World of Winston Breen.

No comments:

Post a Comment