Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Captain Nobody- Dean Pitchford

The next few books are a break from the young adult literature and are more middle grade novels.  This one happens to be on Missouri's state award nominee list this year, and I plan to read it to my fourth grade classes later this year.  Newt Newman feels like a nobody.  His older brother, Chris, is a football star and very popular in high school, while Newt is a nothing fourth grader.  This all begins to change though when Chris is knocked into a coma during an important footbal game.  Newt's two friend decide to take his mind off his brother by having him come up with a unique, one-of-a-kind Halloween costume.  As a result of that night Newt becomes Captain Nobody.  This identity not only helps him deal with his nothingness and his brother's coma, but leads to some interesting escapades around town.  This book is light-hearted and fun.  I know my fourth graders will enjoy it.  He has also written The Big One-Oh, which the kids love.

No comments:

Post a Comment