Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Mudville- Kurtis Scaletta

I must admit up front that I am not a huge baseball fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It has been raining in Moundville (aka Mudville) for years.  Twenty-two years to be exact.  Ever since the big game between Moundville and Sinister Bend was postponed due to weather.  Is Moundville cursed due to an old Indian legend, or is it just statisically odd that it's been raining for decades?  Roy McGuire loves baseball, but has to spend his time helping dig ditches in the mud to help his dad's business.  That is until Sturgis moves in.  Sturgis is also Roy's age and taken in as a foster child.  Next thing everyone knows it has stopped raining, the baseball fields have been rebuilt, and a big rematch between Sinister Bend (with Sturgis as pitcher) and Moundville (with Roy as captain and catcher).  The game is exciting and there is a twist at the end that made me smile.  Definitely a book to suggest to baseball fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment