Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Monday, August 8, 2011

The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z- Kate Messner

Gianna is one of my favorite characters in a middle grades reader I've found in a long time.  She is not your typical girl.  She is a star cross country runner, but struggles with school deadlines.  Her best friend, Zig, is quite the opposite.  He is very organized and saves Gianna many times when it comes to homework and projects.  She is currently struggling with a leaf project she left until the last minute, and to make matters worse if she doesn't get it turned in on time she will lose her spot to go to cross country sectionals.  Her arch rival, Bianca, will be glad to take her place.  In the midst of her school problems she begins to notice that her grandmother's forgetfulness is getting worse.  This is a wonderful story about a young girl dealing with family and school issues that I think most kids would relate to.  I plan to read this one out loud to my fifth graders this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment