Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Cupcake Queen- Heather Hepler

This is a fairly simple plot- Penny's parents are separated so she and her mother move out of New York City to the small town where her mother grew up and her grandmother still lives, Hog's Hollow.  Her mother opens a bakery.  Penny is not accepted at first in her new town and school, but she soon finds not only a best friend, but a boy as well.  This is definitely a girly book.  Think fans of Sarah Dessen.  I'm not a huge romance fan; however,  I loved the setting.  There were many side characters that are fun, and Hog's Hollow is an enjoyable place to read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment