Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

If the Witness Lied- Caroline B. Cooney

I was introduced to this author when I read The Face on the Milk Carton.  In this current book, as in the first on I read, you meet young characters that are faced with tough decisions.  I liked both books for similar reasons.  These kids (in this case a group of 4 brothers and sisters) are facing something awful (death of both parents), and they have to make quick decisions about what to do and how to solve the mystery of their father's supposed accidental death.  I love to live vicariously through the characters.  This is a fast, short read, so it would be perfect for reluctant readers.  The story is told from the older brother and both sisters' points of view, which makes it a good choice for girls or boys.  It also would be a great fit for middle school kids.  Not a lot of real depth, but an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment