Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hold Still- Nina LaCour

Caitlin and Ingrid have been best friends since the beginning of high school.  When Ingrid commits suicide, Caitlin is devastated.  Caitlin finds Ingrid's journal under her bed where Ingrid has left it for Caitlin to find.  This book takes you through the grief process with Caitlin, and thankfully she makes it through the other side.  The author does a great job of making Caitlin's character completely believable.  I was hurting for her.  I do have to say that reading this fairly quickly after 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher was unfair to this novel.  Asher's book handles suicide in such a unique manner that it sets the standard pretty high.  I did enjoy the journal entries as a way to peek into Ingrid's mind.  Suicide is always a difficult subject to write about, and this novel handles it beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment