Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Beckoning Light- Alyssa Rose Ivy

Charlotte seems like a normal girl- one I could really relate to in that she does not enjoy the social situations of high school and is concerned with doing the right thing.  She has recently moved back to Charleston, South Carolina to live with her uncle and older brother because her mom is dead and her dad is off doing research.  It is the gate near her historic home that calls to her, and this gate leads her to a new world where she means everything.  This is a great fantasy- a nice change from all the vampires and werewolves that seem to be prevalent in YA fantasy.  It will almost remind you more of the C.S. Lewis and Tolkien fantasy genre.  The narrative swings between Charlotte and her brother, Kevin, so I could see it appealing to guys and girls.  There is action and romance.  I can add it to my middle school section of the library easily- there is no strong language or sexual exploits.  This is the first in a trilogy, and I can't wait for the second one!

No comments:

Post a Comment