Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Everlost- Neal Shusterman

OK, I have no idea how this trilogy escaped my notice when I have been a big fan of Neal Shusterman for years.  Too many authors/books, too little time I guess.  So, the first in this trilogy is not new, but it is fantastic.  It opens with Allie and Nick getting into a car accident and dying.  On their way to the light at the end of the tunnel, they bump each other and end up in Everlost.  A world that is between life and death where other children and even buildings have ended up.  They quickly befriend a young boy they name Leif and the three of them set off to explore Everlost and find answers to their many questions.  They meet many legendary Everlost characters, including some "monsters" and find that Allie has the power to "skinjack" living humans.  She is able to go into living people's bodies and control them.  The first book ends with the characters going their separate ways and possibly becoming "monsters" themselves.  I cannot wait to get a hold of the second and third one in this trilogy.  Shusterman has done another fantastic job with this series!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a great book, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete