Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Unbecoming of Mara Dyer- Michelle Hodkin

I'm am always so glad to find a new favorite author, and that is what I feel like I've discovered in Michelle Hodkin after reading this first book of hers.  Mara Dyer thinks she is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after she is in an accident that kills 2 of her friends and her boyfriend and leaves her hospitalized.  Her family moves from Rhode Island to Miami, Florida in an effort to help her make a fresh start and deal with the aftermath of the accident.  Her first day at her new private school brings encounters with Anna and Aiden, school bullies, Jamie, her new found friend, and Noah, the guy she falls for despite the warnings everyone gives her.  The romance between Noah and Mara is wonderful, but Mara also feels pulled deeper into what she thinks is her pychosis.  She begins remembering parts of the night of the accident that she had previously blocked from her memory, and in doing so realizes that she has a power that she doesn't necessarily want.  The biggest surprise to me was that this is the first book in a series.  I can't wait until the next book comes out!  Sounds like it may be coming in fall of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment