Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cinderella Ate My Daughter- Peggy Orenstein

I have to say that I think every mom and/or dad of daughters really should read this book.  I know for myself it is so easy to let your daughters slip into the girlie girl culture of today's society.  In many ways Peggy articulated so much of what has bothered me about the princesses, Disney Channel culture, and marketing to girls that I couldn't put into words myself.  I have a 6 and a 9 year old girl and this book caused me to look at what I encourage them to do, wear, watch, etc.  It is very thought provoking and also quite funny at times.  This is a very readable book and must for parents of daughters!

No comments:

Post a Comment