Book reviews of YA lit and more

As a middle school librarian and hopeful reader of Missouri's high school award books (Gateway nominees), I am reading and reviewing as many young adult and middle grade novels as I can while working on my own writing for this age group.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Alice Bliss- Laura Harrington

This book was heart-wrenching, yet wonderful.  Alice is a very likable 15 year old that is dealing with her father going to Iraq.  The book is part her dealing with not having him and part her growing up.  It takes you back to that age in an instant.  It reads more like an adult book than YA, even though Alice is 15.  I feel like bringing a certain maturity that comes from being an adult adds to the story, but I could see some teenage girls liking it also.  My only warning is be prepared to cry- and I'm not a crier!

No comments:

Post a Comment